My photo
Mark is a 35 year old, ginger-haired and now fortunately balding, village club cricket player. An opening inswing bowler that doesn't swing it any longer. He wrote a Blog two years ago when preparing for a game a cricket on the flanks of Mt Everest and was told to carry on writing it.

Wednesday 8 April 2009

Tenzing Go-a-Hunting

Chaps,

I just wanted to post a last Blog before we all fly off to Nepal tomorrow to say a huge thanks for the support I have enjoyed in preparation for this trip.  I promise I won't sing a song or offer to take you on a windy walk; but the support I have had from family, friends, work colleagues, non-friends and people I really hate has been an amazing help and the sponsorship donations have been staggering.  Thank-you very much. 

Please don't stop though as these charities do amazing work and I aim to push the envelope on until long after I am back in the UK.

I have just enjoyed a great send-off weekend that has probably set me back, fitness-wise, until about May last year.  The Red Lion was packed on Saturday to send the ginger bastard off in style.  It was supposed to be a surprise but considering I was CC'd on most of the "Mark doesn't know about this" emails and the fact I was phoned up to make sure I was actually around last Saturday meant that the cat had definitely been let out of bag.  It was a great night though with the donation jar on the bar, simply overflowing.  Good old British Lifeboats.  I was also dressed appropriately I thought in the Bath Half spandex top - unwashed I remembered halfway through the evening but as most people were drinking Pedigree, I don't think the smell off me put them off.  I looked like the cling-wrapped Christmas Ham again with the XL sizing proving complete bollocks and it stretched over me again like the skin on a dodgy rice-pudding.  People got the idea though and thanks to Colesy and DIC for organizing the troops.  I also received some touching gifts to send me on my way - the grandfather clock, the carving set, the West Highland Terrier, the complete Encyclopedia Britannica and windsurfing lesson may not prove that beneficial at 5000m.  The thought was there though.

The shopping has been frantic with more and more pieces of kit being purchased.  I will probably just stay in the same pair of shorts and flip-flops like most cricket tours and have a wardrobe full of mountaineering kit unworn; ....or maybe not.  Our official kit looks the nuts and pink has always been my colour - real men can wear it y'know and you just have to look at my forehead after a ten over spell in June.

Tomorrow sees the start of this great adventure and, from my corner, I would just like to say a very heartfelt Thank-you to Kirt, Wes, Cuzza, Charlie, Vicks and everyone else who had a hand in getting this venture off the ground but especially Kirt, Wes and Cuzza who have sweated life-blood into this and were always on-hand to ask mundane questions like what pants should I wear and what is the draught beer like.  I have found the level of organization and effort that has been put into this trip simply staggering and, very simply, thanks guys; I hope we all do you proud.  It's been a real pleasure being part of it and it will be a little strange when we touch down again in London on the 28th.  What Next?

Until May.

Keep you posted.

No comments: