My photo
Mark is a 35 year old, ginger-haired and now fortunately balding, village club cricket player. An opening inswing bowler that doesn't swing it any longer. He wrote a Blog two years ago when preparing for a game a cricket on the flanks of Mt Everest and was told to carry on writing it.

Thursday 30 October 2008

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snnoowwwwwwww....

Morning All,

Well training in the snow isn't fun........

Looking out of the window at 6.30 this morning when my mobile phone alarm went off, I saw the white expanse of day old snow that hadn't disappeared. Oh, Bollocks my legs and lungs said, almost in unison- they'd hoped it would have. They'd hoped for a beach with a bar and a small Polynesian woman wearing nothing but vegetation around her waist holding a tall, icey red drink with an umbrella in it, I'll be honest. Same here actually. I haven't done a cross country run in snow since I was at school. I don't really think I did it all that properly then, either.

It was hard going this morning; a combination of unwilling legs, the cold, sniffles and apathy. Completed the run but had to have a breather half way round. I found the Nevis climb pretty tough which was disappointing as I have been working hard at my fitness - 3/4 mornings a week so far for nearly 3 months now - this knocked me back a little as I hate being defeated and it seems that I take a few steps forward and one back, "fitness-wise". My wardrobe was restrictive for Ben Nevis but I cruised round the same X-country route two weeks ago so I know I can do it. Its a case of just getting on with it and increasing the anti regularly. I have been told by my mate who is training with me that road-running is the easier option as the footfall is the same - safe and regular. At this time of year, X-country means your feet and legs have to work much harder not to slip and slide on the ice and in the mud. I can understand that; I must have looked drunk during certain sections of the run. I'll just crack on.  What last weekends mission to Scotland did highlight was that there were parts on my body that are going to be worked very hard in April and so far I have neglected them from a fitness perspective.  My lower back gave me some "agro" in Scotland for example, so I do need to strengthen this up my starting to train with a backpack on.  It's likely the packs in Nepal will be a substantial weight and it makes sense to start getting used to carrying it.  

A great morning though - sun rising with a warm orange glow, the pheasants scurrying away from what must of sounded and looked to them like a ginger haired, anaemic earth-mover coming towards them, the freshly drilled fields rolling up and up and up and my head saying to me with every footfall "you stupid twat, you stupid twat, you stupid twat".

They can put a monkey in space but they can't design a fitness pill....

Fundraising is going well considering I am about a week into it - many thanks to those who have supported so far. I am also starting to get a few ideas for an Auction at the Red Lion after Christmas to try and smash the fundraising hard. A friend of mine had a fundraising evening in my local pub for the local hospital baby unit. He sourced some great prizes - not cans of de-icer or jam but Mercedes cars for the weekend, Van Goghs, Concorde's Nose Cone, that sort of thing. It was a great evening and well supported. I hope to do the same in a few months time.

Keep reading and I will update soon.

M

2 comments:

Curry said...

my head saying to me with every footfall "you stupid twat, you stupid twat, you stupid twat".

A sensation I know only too well fella!!

G@EVEREST said...

Running cross counrty is harder but so are you my good man than the fella's at average joe's gymnasium. Running cross country (is better for u) because it helps improve your stablisers!!! What?!! Basically the tendoms round your knees and ankles therefore strengthening your platform and base needed for walking up big rocks. Keep up the good work chief and taking on load is a great idea. Possibly a small child or farm animal to spur you on??