My photo
Mark is a 35 year old, ginger-haired and now fortunately balding, village club cricket player. An opening inswing bowler that doesn't swing it any longer. He wrote a Blog two years ago when preparing for a game a cricket on the flanks of Mt Everest and was told to carry on writing it.

Monday 10 November 2008

Rain, Marathon's and Bogies..........

Morning Ritchie, Morning All......
Another fine day in Gotham City.

I don't know why anyone wants to live in this bloody country - the weather today is quite simply, shite.

Anyway, to horse.

Reading around the Blogs over the last few days it seems that a fair bit has been going on with the trip and it has been a shame to read about the guys that have had to pull out for one reason or another. Some of them I hadn't really met yet and some I definitely hadn't. It must be a sad but sometimes inevitable part of these types of trips, I would thought - people's circumstances do change , things do crop up and often tough calls have to made for the greater good in every direction. I wish everyone well that had had to pull out recently.

Fundraising has been great with quite a few phone calls coming in to me last week asking to get a better understanding of the trip and some personal contacts who are keen to show their support for the expedition. People are genuinely taken by this trip and what it's core aims are and are happy to help me and the trip reach the goals. I hope to build on this and do them proud next April. I also sat with a young journalist /cricket mate of mine who is hoping to get a piece about the trip and my preparations for it in the local press. I will know more soon.

I have signed up for the Bath Half Marathon next March - my Brother and his wife are running and I think a few of the Everest Lads are too - and more immediate than that I have 3 evening running meets - only 5kms - but something "official" to get under my belt on top of my weekly running and circuits schedule. The anti is being upped all the time and my "cake eating demons" are constantly being fought. I won last week. I even went out in public for the first time in my Ron Hill package-munching, spandex, lycra, spiderman leggings. My wife had given me "you look fine" looks for the last few weeks , chewing her fists, as I have been growing the spuds to be able to wear them in public. She has promptly excused herself to go and explode with laughter elsewhere in the house. I don't mind, Ron Hill wore them. Whoever he is.

Watching my little family getting bigger since Lexie was born has, on several occasions, made my stomach do a little "loop-the-loop", recently. Gut-pangs that mean, come April, I think I am going to find it very hard to leave for the two weeks or so for the trip. I will miss bath times and the other small things that (when you are actually doing them means getting wet, screamed at and little noses being wiped on you) I take for granted a little. I am not overtly emotional like this and I promise I'm not going to sing or anything but I think it's going to be hard, that's all. I know the trip will be an experience that will never be repeated and one that I fully intend to get as much out of as I can and help get off the ground and reach the goals that it is so deserving of. It will also go like a flash too, so although I think I will miss my Girls, I will back with them soon, so I can be splashed and get bogies wiped on me again soon enough. And that's just the wife.

.......................Magic.

No comments: