My photo
Mark is a 35 year old, ginger-haired and now fortunately balding, village club cricket player. An opening inswing bowler that doesn't swing it any longer. He wrote a Blog two years ago when preparing for a game a cricket on the flanks of Mt Everest and was told to carry on writing it.

Wednesday 14 January 2009

An Apt Little Tune,

Hi Everyone -

I was up and out early this morning to give myself a damn good thrashing (!) around the Hertfordshire countryside. The front door opened and a wall of freezing fog hit me like a cement mixer in the crotch. My Ron Hill spandex jogging strides almost froze on contact as well as my somewhat slightly more precious cargo. Genesis "And The There Were Three" was located on the old iPod, the legs were cranked into Gear 1 and I was away. Pheasants, Deer, Dog-Walkers and local Doggers all dived for cover as the Ginger Rocky made his heaving way through scrub, thicket and mud. I imagined the pilots flying the Easyjet landing routes into Luton this morning were pointing out the the ladies and gentlemen on board that "on the left as we descend through this freezing fog and ice into London Luton you will see what looks like....well, a fat twat."

As I was running, a ditty entered my head and it bugged me for the remaining couple of miles of my run. What was it, I pondered? It was very familiar. Only after defrosting myself once I had returned back to base did it come to me. The tracks and road sections I jogged this morning were very skiddy due to overnight freezing and this is what set the two bunny-rabbits juggling knives in my head to start gently hopping over each other as my thought processes started to warm up again. "Road to Nowhere", Talking Heads - Aaaahhhh. How Apt, I thought.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SKqzayNo4Dk

I must have looked ridiculous trying to run on ice and David Byrne in the video I think does a very life-like impression of me running this morning. The only difference is my road hopefully leads to Everest ..................and Victory.

More to come after the weekend where we will once again donning the whites at the Home of Cricket. We are will be having another extensive net session at Lord's where once again my bowling will probably be given the treatment but it will be good to get a good bowl and feel leather on willow for the first time in 2009. We will then adjourn to hear more about where we are and what needs to be done before Tenzing gives Hillary what for up the Mountain in April. Exciting times ahead.

1 comment:

tooveseverest said...

Talking Heads are massively under-rated. They're the band Ben Fold's could've been...