My photo
Mark is a 35 year old, ginger-haired and now fortunately balding, village club cricket player. An opening inswing bowler that doesn't swing it any longer. He wrote a Blog two years ago when preparing for a game a cricket on the flanks of Mt Everest and was told to carry on writing it.

Thursday 8 January 2009

Looking Forward, Facing Up and IgglePiggle....

Hi Everyone - A very happy 2009 to all.  May it bring you enjoyment, luck and all round good fortune.  Me?  Well, I'm going up to Mount Everest to play cricket in April, you know, the usual stuff.  

Back on the horse this week, training wise, after my Christmas frivolities.  Santa bought my father a bitch of a running machine, which must be the most boring method of exercise to have ever been invented but handy and I ventured out this morning in the dark, snow and ice to go for one of my now dreaded cross-country runs.  Like Glen (whose Blog I have just read - www.gleneverest.blogspot.com - excellent by the way) I will find it hard to fit everything in as well as do the 9-5 stuff and have some time with my kids / wife; I'm pretty convinced they don't want that much time with me though.  I have weekly targets that I will try and get to on the fitness front to give myself the best chance I can.  I am no great runner but running is what the basis will be and every effort is and will be made.  I fear that some of my colleagues are in a different league to me fitness-wise, having read some of the more recent blogs; but quite rightly people are doing what they think will help them get the most out of their trip and ensure their trip is a success. I have never been so active and I only have 3 chins now and I have stuck to my fitness; it has been very hard but my commitment will continue.  Thanks to those friends of mine at home that are keen to keep me motivated.  It's nice not to be called "that tubby *******", for once.  

It also seems everyone is keen to show off their houses whilst having team building sessions too with many invites for weekend team building activities and general "get-togethers" pouring in to my Inbox.  

The walking boots have also now arrived so on top of shedding the pounds and strengthening the heart, I will have to break these buggers in.  A shiny pair of Asolo Flame's arrived yesterday that I was recommended by the 14 year old in Cotswold's.  Actually, excellent service and a real interest in what we were doing...once he had stopped laughing.  They even had little rock slopes in the shop so you could feel the boot in as a real-life scenario as you can get in downtown St.Albans.  

I need to also refocus on my fundraising and get in contact with those people who think I have forgotten them.  I'm doing OK as far as being allowed on the trip but The Lord's Taveners haven't seen zip out of the Waters ranch as yet, and I am keen to do what I can and play my part.  I have an idea for an auction in my local pub nearer the departure date but with every weekend full pretty much until we go, it's going to be a juggle to get things sorted, I think.  I have some good prizes - not the usual cans of De-Icer, Boxes of Pink Wafer selections that one usually associates with cricket club raffles / draws, especially after Christmas which gives people the opportunity to offload crap they got for Christmas.  I actually have aeroplane flights, rugby tickets, meals at posh restaurants, meals at not so posh restaurants, happy meals from McDonald's, some not so happy meals from McDonald's, etc  We shall see what we can do but this would give my fundraising a real boost - I was thinking that if time did run out I could also do it after my return.  No-one has said the clock stops when we land back in the UK.

As an aside, having been part of a negotiation team at my own cricket club in recent months, I have just come back from a meeting tonight and it seems that we are very close to achieving a second cricket ground within my village, in the grounds of a girls boarding school - it has been "green-lighted" and just depends on English Heritage granting some planning.  This will be a huge achievement and will make Preston CC the envy of many other clubs.  It will also give our 3rd and 4th Elevens a home ground. Cricket in 2009 looks like its going to be good.  Kevin Pietersen is also available for our first game against Stevenage 2's in early May too, which is nice.

I still feel a bit weird about leaving my young family for such a length of time as our trip and it has been on my mind a little but actually it's only two weeks really and my kids seem more interested in Kipper, Peppa Pig and IgglePigglet (or whatever that blue idiot is with the dumb look and the red blanket, whose best mates are 3 weirdos that live in a bush, a load of over sized beach-balls, a  train that drives up trees and an airship that farts - I suspect some of you may know what the **** I'm talking about) than Daddy attempting to be selected to play cricket on the highest cricket pitch on Earth.  One of my aims from the trip is to say one day that "Dad did this" and I hope one day they get the chance to take part in something like this; cricket needs tea-ladies whatever the altitude, let's face it. Gotta go as I have to bench press my fridge before I go to bed. 

3 comments:

White-Pages said...

Nice work mate. Thanks for the mention.

The team at Cotswolds are really helpful, and anyone who is yet to get boots should go there too.

Is IgglePiglet that Australian guy in your team - sounds a lot like him... http://tooveseverest.blogspot.com/

tooveseverest said...

your mum is an IgglePiglet

Curry said...

An airship that farts, that sounds awesome!!